Statement of Faith
We at Brushy Fork Baptist Church believe:
- The preeminence of Christ as our divine Lord and Master
- The supreme authority of the Bible and it’s sufficiency as our only rule of faith and practice.
- The right of private interpretation and the competency of the individual soul in direct approach to God.
- The absolute separation of church and state.
- A regenerate church membership.
- The beautiful symbolic ordinance of believer’s baptism in obedience to the command of God.
- The complete independence of the local church and its interdependence in associated fellowship with other Baptist churches.
- The solemn obligation of majority rule, guaranteeing equal rights to all and special privileges to none.
- The spiritual unity of all believers, for which the master so earnestly prayed.
- A world program of missionary fervor and evangelism in obedience to the final command of Jesus.
- Article XVIII of the Baptist Faith and Message (2000) – The Family:
God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption.
Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is God’s unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and the woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means of procreation of the human race.
The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in God’s image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to His people. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He has the God – given responsibility to provide for, to protect, and to lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the churchwillingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God – given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.
Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the lore. Parents are to demonstrate to their children God’s pattern for marriage. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them, through consistent lifestyle example and loving discipline, to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents.
Genesis 1:26-28; 2:15-25; 3:1-20; Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Joshua 24:15; 1 Samuel 1:26-28; Psalms 51:5; 78:1-8; 127; 128; 139:13-16; Proverbs 1:8; 5:15-20; 6:20-22; 12:4; 13:24; 14:1; 17:6; 18:22; 22:6,15; 23:13-14; 24:3; 29:15,17; 31:10-31; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; 9:9; Malachi 2:14-16; Matthew 5:31-32; 18:2-5; 19:3-9; Mark 10:6-12; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 7:1-16; Ephesians 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Colossians 3:18-21; 1 Timothy 5:8,14; 2 Timothy 1:3-5; Titus 2:3-5; Hebrews 13:4; 1 Peter 3:1-7.